Blog Archive

Monday, April 18, 2011

The University of Jordan

I visited the University of Jordan today for the first time.  It was actually very comforting to be in a university-esque environment.  I was there to interview Dr. Quawas, professor of English literature, for my anthro paper about street harassment.  I got to the university about half an hour before our appointment so I could wander.  Here are some of my observations:

  • Only foreigners wear scarves.  I took mine off about ten minutes after getting there. 
  • Only foreigners use backpacks.  I saw a grand total of 5 backpacks in my time there, all owned by CIEE American study abroad students.  Everyone else carries books or has a giant (designer) purse.
  • There seemed to be more women than men.
  • About one out of every 200 women or more were wearing niqab (full face veil).
  • About one out of every 100 women were not wearing hijab, only 7 of which were wearing ponytails.  Which leads me to my next point...
  • Everyone was dressed very fashionably.  I was glad I wore a nice shirt.  Not comparable to the average US college experience (except maybe at Wash U, but even WU was frumpier than JU)
  • There are 40,000 students at JU (according to Dr. Quawas).
  • The buildings and facilities there are very nice.
  • Across the street are lunch staples... I counted a KFC, Popeyes, Burger King, McDonald's, Star Donuts, Pizza Hut, Subway, Chili House, and.... Lebnani Snack.
Good times.  It made me miss the US college feel, and Wash U in particular of course.  In other news, Dr. Quawas is awesome, and I wish she taught a class at AMIDEAST.  After our meeting she was going to her Arab Literature and Feminism class that she teaches to the CIEE study abroad kids.  Maybe I should suggest this to Hala...

N.B. After much confusion and changing of schedules, our meeting with Prince Hassan and Princess Sumaya has been postponed.  Hopefully that happens!


1 comment:

  1. remember 'bella figura' and always dress like the Italians!

    ReplyDelete