Blog Archive

Friday, April 15, 2011

The Land of Sand and Stone

The past Wednesday and Thursday, AMIDEAST took us on an excursion to Wadi Rum (wadi = valley in Arabic) and Petra.  It was truly amazing.  At first I was kind of "eh" because it just looked like a lot of sand and rocks and brown.  But the more time I spent there, the more fun I had.  I enjoyed sleeping in the bedouin tent, and sand being everywhere didn't bother me at all.

The best part was night in Wadi Rum.  Liz and I walked for a good 45 minutes away from camp to a dune where sounds couldn't reach.  We laid down in the cold sand and looked up at the stars and the moon that was so bright, we could see everything. (And we could make shadow puppets.)  It was dead silent.  I have never been in so much silence before in my life.  My ears were ringing from the lack of sound like they do when I put ear plugs in.  It was absolutely unbelievable.  That completely made the entire trip for me.  I would be so happy if I could have that experience every week.

Here are some photo highlights of the trip, you can get the full story from me when I get home!







No comments:

Post a Comment