Blog Archive

Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Day of Anger

If anyone has been following the news or my facebook, you'll realize the gravity of the last few days in Egyptian history. I'm not going to take the time really to explain, I've had to discuss it with friends and family in so many emails and in facebook statuses that I don't know if I can explain it again right now! Read the news!

Anywho, this is just a quick update. I am fine, and tomorrow we are being seriously restricted to our apartments, even more seriously than on Tuesday. The protests are supposed to get crazy tomorrow, to the point that armored cars will be parked and blocking side streets. Going anywhere will be impossible.

Salma just came over to tell us, in person, one more time that we were not to go anywhere near demonstrations tomorrow. As we were chitchatting and discussing the situation, Shama asked if twitter and facebook would be blocked again tomorrow, because twitter was blocked all of Tuesday and facebook would intermittently go in and out. Salma said yes, definitely, twitter and facebook will be completely blocked all of tomorrow, as well as other sites, and power going out, and possibly whole swathes of internet going out of commission.

As we were talking to Salma about all this, Shama was surfing the internet. "Oh my god," she said, "facebook is already gone!"

Moral of the story: facebook is down, twitter is down. Probably won't be back until Saturday morning at the earliest, but it depends on how bad the protests get and how long they go on. My roommate Christine gets facebook on her BlackBerry, so if something super important happens, she'll be able to post it on my wall. But until facebook is back, I'll be posting updates on Egypt on my blog! Stay tuned!


**Update 8:00pm - Salma taught us how to get facebook via proxies, so it is possible for me to get on facebook. More likely than not though, I'll be posting updates here though, just cuz it takes a little more effort to get on facebook.

3 comments:

  1. stay safe
    NPR did an interview with an Egyptian American who went to Egypt to join in the protests to give the Egyptian peoples point of view

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allegra,

    Stay well, I will have A team pray for you at the meeting tonight. All is well back here in St.L. StLCoP is continuing it's quest to snow me under in work. I thought about you the other day remind me to tell you the story later. Miss you.

    -Jon

    ReplyDelete
  3. great post. stay safe! this really is history in the making.

    ReplyDelete