Blog Archive

Monday, January 10, 2011

Egyptians don't understand sarcasm

Or so Matthew told us today at orientation. We did an intercultural learning workshop today, and touched the surface of Egyptian culture. Some things we learned:

1) Egyptian time is similar to Indian Standard Time or Italian time: it doesn't really matter. I thought this would take me a long time to get used to, seeing as I can be obsessed with being organized and on time at home. I guess I've been to Italy enough times though that it hasn't bothered me yet though.

2) There is no such thing as a personal bubble with same sex friends.

3) There is no such thing as lines or first come first serve.

4) You can get anything delivered.

5) Egyptians don't understand sarcasm.


Survival Arabic starts tomorrow... exciting. I would like to not be laughed at when I speak fusha. In the meantime, my flatmates and I are enjoying some down time, waiting for our shawerma to be delivered and watching an Arabic music video tv station. I have just been exposed to the Arab version of Lady Gaga... interesting.

3 comments:

  1. A Lady Gaga with clothes on I hope!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha personal bubbles... completely non-existent, I believe that. I read somewhere it's due to the separation of the sexes manifesting in greater intimacy towards the same sex friends you end up spending most of your time with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. but I actually disagree with the last point ...one of the main things that Egyptians are good at is SARCASM.....sometimes when i use sarcasm that much ppl think am talking seriously....so don't underestimate of the power of sarcastic Egyptians =)

    ReplyDelete